Friday, March 18, 2011

First Pit Stop: Hiawasee, GA

Howdy there! I am writing this in the Hiaswasee Public Library in beautiful Georgia. The south seems to have been affected by an unseasonable warm streak. 84 degrees at the end of winter! I warmth makes for comfortable hiking. Although, since the leaves have not come in yet, the sun shines right through the tree. I caught myself a little sun burn on my lips and nose. It is my 5th day of hiking. I took a 5 mile nero (that is a near-zero; a zero day is when you do not hike at all) from Adiss Gap on the outskirts of the Tray Mountain Wilderness, up 1000ft in 1 mile, and down into Dicks Creek Gap. Then, hitchhiked 3.5 miles down the road to the Blueberry Patch Hiker Hostel-- a donation based hostel run by a christian husband and wife-- with showers, laundry, bunks, and a beautiful view into the country framed by the tall blueberry bushes, goats, and burros.
My hike started on Monday morning after a 12 hour Amtrak train ride from DC to Gainesville. I met my shuttle at 7 am in the morning outside the train station. His name was Eric and he hiked the AT in '04. He was a nomadic sort of guy, living out of his van. Every year around hiker season(mid-march to mid-april) he would come out to Georgia and give some hikers a lift. It was a 2 hour drive to Springer mountain. I started hiking at about 9. I made it up to the top of Springer and signed my name in the first trail log. Springer is the southern extreme of the AT, and for north-bound hikers such as myself, the beginning of the trail. It was cold and the morning fog had yet to be burned off by the sun. That first day I hiked 15 miles, staying at the Gouch Mtn Shelter. The shelter was crowed (of course) so I set up tent near-by. It started to rain in the middle of the night. I woke in the morning to find the bottom half of my sleeping bag wet. I had set up my tent in what had become in the middle of the night a puddle. So the water seeped through the bottom lining and soaked my sleeping bad and everything else on my bottom tarp. I now had an incentive of necessity to get to the Mountain Crossing at Walasi-Yi because they had a dryer. The reason for my rush is that if a down bag stays wet too long, it clumps together and looses all its insulating function. It had continued to rain all that night and well into the day. I was hiking faster than I normally would, robbed by all the vistas by the thick fog and rain. That day put me over Blood Mountain, an old site of a bloody battle said to have made the ground run red. But I made it to the dryers and just in time too, because that evening a church group was serving a free dinner. Lasagna, vegetables, and quite possibly the best pecan pie I will every have, seeing that it was made by a gentle, church-going southern mother.
Since the rain, the past 2 days have been warm and easy. Wednesday was 17 miles, and Thursday was 13 respectably, evening out to my 15 mile avg.
I have not seen any animals larger than a squirrel. I saw few field mice, chipmunks, warblers. It sounds sometimes like there are the nocturnal critters outside my tent, opossum and raccoon, but I do not trust my ears enough to discern them from the sounds of the wind against the leaves.
Believe it or not, I do not have a single blister. My choice to wear running shoes was the best choice I made. The views are beautiful. The fresh mountain air is making my lungs larger. My knees are a little sore, but nothing a few ibuprofen cannot handle. I will be in North Carolina tomorrow afternoon considering it is only 9 miles down the trail.

7 comments:

  1. This makes me very very happy.
    xo
    Katie A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful so far...outside of the initial rains... Momma Nature having you 'pay it forward' and giving you sweet sunshine thereafter. May North Carolina be even more captivating!
    Camping in N Ga. & Tennessee, I have, many times over, heard an animal that I could not identify. It sounded like a mix between an owl and a horse. One night on Georgia Public Broadcasting I saw a show about some of the little known about wildlife in the area & discovered that the animal I had heard so many times in the wee of the night was actually a hyena. Although I never have seen one live, I have heard them & Know they are there. Only once have I seen a bear camping in the area and many times I have awoken to the rustlings of deer outside of my tent.
    The weather should continue to be gorgeous for you for as you continue onward :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Boy !!Glad to see you made it to the trail and are having fun - despite the rain ! I didn't realize there were stops along the way with shelter and food. Very interesting.Guess that does make it a little easier. Can't wait to hear more!! Watch out for those squirels-they can be mean ! ha! Love ya ! Aunt Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grams is watching out for you!! Enjoy and remember the gut feeling!! My friend, Mr. Al, who went to St. John's is following you on the blog, as is Mr. John. Remember I love and enjoy the star lit nights!! Call me if you need me! Hugs & Kisses!! Love, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3/27 We just got 3 inches of snow!!

    Hope you are keeping up with the good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. heyyyy chazaq!!!!! its daisey!! geez i wish i was a fly followin you :D you should get a little disposable camera somewhere:) and take some pictures, if you dont have a camera already. if you do, where the heck are the pictures?? be safe out there little guy:) watch out for the squirrels. LOL love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete